Proper nutrition is an important part of progress in sports. Regardless of whether you decide to lose weight, or vice versa gain muscle mass, you need to observe the correct regime of the day and a strict diet. But not always people have the opportunity to eat right, because the workload at work dictates its conditions. Revenues can come from power substitutes. The main benefit of protein bars and other substitutes is the ability to maintain a positive balance of calories and protein in the diet.
A protein bar is a confectionery product enriched with protein. Initially, they were created as an alternative to protein cocktails, but among the professional athletes did not find a response.
The composition of protein bars may vary depending on the manufacturer, however the general formula remains unchanged:
- Whey / milk protein. Usually it is up to 70% of the total product.
- Stabilizers of the mixture.
- Flavors and flavors.
- Chocolate glaze or molasses.
In rare cases, manufacturers add preservatives to the bar, which can increase shelf life.
Why do we need protein bars when we can buy protein powder, or do we use protein from natural sources? Despite the high cost in relation to protein cocktails, bars are widely used among the population for the following reasons:
- Absence of a psychological barrier. Many people are afraid of protein cocktails for mythical reasons, which were imposed from the TV screens at the end of the last century. Despite the fact that almost everyone has access to the Internet, myths about “potency, aggression and liver” are still relevant. Protein bars are an intermediate link that relieves psychological limitations and is not prone to prejudices about protein.
- Ability to maintain a diet. This is especially important when eating properly at work does not work.
- Longer shelf life. On average, the protein shake can be stored up to 3, 4 hours in the finished form. The shelf life of the protein bar is measured in weeks.
- Alternative to chocolate bars. Very often nutritionists prescribe protein bars for lovers of sweet. Unlike snickers and other junk snacks, the protein bar has a lower caloric value and greater benefit.
How can protein bars benefit and harm for losing weight? In fact, this is a rather difficult question. Let’s consider both points of view:
|The Benefits of Protein Bars||Harm of protein bars|
|They are a source of high quality protein.||Usually rich in sugar or sugar substitutes, which lead to an insulin reaction.|
|Allow to replenish protein stocks without being distracted from other matters.||Violate eating behavior, which leads to overeating in the future.|
|Balanced in composition.||Usually one bar is not enough to maintain a protein balance, and two – a lot.|
|They are stored much longer than the prepared protein shake.||Bioavailability of protein in the bar is lower than that of natural food.|
|Allow to accelerate anabolic processes.||Slow down catabolic processes, which are based on fat burning.|
|Disperses metabolism.||Insulin reaction does not allow long to maintain a sense of saturation.|
Based on the tabulated data, it can be said that potential harm from using protein bars can be neglected. The only exception is kidney problems, but in this case the restriction concerns the consumption of the protein as a whole.
Read the article about kinds of protein.
Are they equally useful for women and men?
If we consider the issue from the point of view of sports achievements, then the benefits of protein bars for men and women are the same. But if we consider the maintenance of normal functioning, they are much more important for women than for men.
Why are protein bars for women?
- In view of the peculiarities of maintaining the reproductive system, the basal protein intake in women is much higher.
- To maintain a normal level of hormones.
- To maintain good immunity.
- To improve lactation.
In addition, there is an opinion that dairy / whey protein plays an important role in breast size, which is a pleasant bonus for the beautiful half of the population.
Protein bars are not a panacea or a magic remedy. They are not able to replace a full-fledged protein shake and, especially, real sources of protein. However, in conditions of extreme congestion, they are sometimes the only way to maintain a positive anabolic balance in the body. They are absolutely safe, both for adults and for children, which allows them to buy useful sweets instead of “harmful snickers”.
The most important thing is not to get carried away by them, since with an overabundance of protein in the body, its value is reduced, because the body begins to use it as fuel instead of carbohydrates. The main thing is to carefully read the composition of the bar before buying, because some unscrupulous manufacturers use soy milk instead of the usual one or use other tricks to make the production cheaper.