Last Updated on
What is a gainer? You are working hard in the gym, doing the right exercises, increasing the mass, but the mirror is in no hurry to show you the desired round shapes. You make even more effort, you train until you lose your pulse, you even try to eat more – and the result is an hour for a teaspoon. And it would not be so insulting, but a friend who has been training on the same program as you, has seen radical changes in six months.
What is the matter? Do not rush to blame yourself and blame for the fact that you are trying little. Perhaps your body has an accelerated metabolism or it does not build muscle. Metabolism rate is an individual trait of a person along with eye color or skin type. For a complete picture of your metabolic processes, you can enroll to an endocrinologist, but for now you can make a verdict: your body quickly burns energy and almost does not accumulate muscle mass.
The solution lies on the surface: start to consume much more protein and carbohydrate foods. Protein is the building material for muscles, and carbohydrates are the energy that an athlete needs for intense training. However, does everybody have the opportunity to have nourishing cereals, rich meat soups, buckwheat with chicken breast 4-5 times a day? Does everyone even have the opportunity to fully eat up to 4 times a day? Of course not.
Special formulations for athletes come to the rescue – gainers. These are powder mixtures that can be dissolved in water / milk / kefir and taken as an additional source of nutrition. Gainers consist of proteins (soy, milk, peas) and carbohydrates (“fast” and “slow”). Do not confuse gainers and regular protein shakes: the latter do not contain (or contain in very small quantities) carbohydrates, while in the gainers they are present in a large percentage.
How do gainers help you gain muscle mass?
Protein, which is part of the gainers, is a building material for muscles. And carbohydrates provide the body with energy and do not allow the body to take energy from already existing muscles. Thus, with intense workouts in athletes taking weight gainers, muscle mass is growing rapidly and rapidly. Attention: the use of gainers without intensive training is highly undesirable: it leads to the banal obesity of the body. This is another difference between gainers and protein shakes, which can be taken for weight loss.
The recommended portion of a gainer contains from 350 to 1000 Kcal. Therefore, they are accepted by those athletes who have no problems with weight gain, but who need to quickly get into shape before a competition. Accept and wrestlers who want to go to a higher weight category. However, gainers are always a temporary measure. After the desired weight is reached, it is necessary to switch to a regular protein shake in order to maintain the gained mass.
Recommendations for use
A portion of the powder 60-100 g, diluted with a liquid, to drink either an hour before a workout, or half an hour after it – to recover. If the intensity of training has decreased or the athlete is forced to abandon training for some time, it is not necessary to take gainers, because the body will not grow without loads or even maintain muscle mass.
Advantages of gainers:
- additional nutrition for athletes who simply do not have the opportunity to take full meals often;
- quick muscle mass gain for bodybuilders and powerlifters;
- convenient release format – just dilute the powder with water / milk / kefir in a shaker;
- rapid recovery of the body after a hard workout;
- convenient to take on the road or in the gym.
So, you firmly decided to intensively build muscle mass and enter a gainer in your diet. How to choose the one that is right for you? This will help you rating the best and most popular gainers in 2019.
Best gainers 2019
- DYMATIZE NUTRITION SUPER MASS GAINER
- MUSCLE JUICE REVOLUTION 2600
- UNIVERSAL NUTRITION REAL GAINS
- UP YOUR MASS
- WEIDER MEGA MASS 4000
- OPTIMUM NUTRITION SERIOUS MASS 6LB
- BSN TRUE-MASS
- SAN MASS EFFECT REVOLUTION
- MASS TECH PERFORMANCE SERIES
DYMATIZE NUTRITION SUPER MASS GAINER
The composition of this gainer a huge amount of carbohydrates, and the percentage of them is 5 times more than the content of proteins. So the product is more suitable for restoring the energy balance of the body after intensive training. The manufacturing company decided to focus on maximizing the cost of the mixture (within reasonable limits), but there are still some vitamins, trace elements and creatine in the composition. This is just a find for subtle ectomorphs, in which the metabolism burns calories at the speed of sound. Per serving 1280 Kcal.
- effective suppression of catabolism, a strong increase in anabolism;
- energy value is very high;
- complex of minerals, vitamins, creatine;
- the price is fully consistent with the high quality of the goods.
- very low protein content. Not suitable for those who just need to build muscle mass – more to restore the required energy level of the body.
MUSCLE JUICE REVOLUTION 2600
Often chosen by professional athletes brand food. The composition of several types of protein (total content – 25%), a huge number of amino acids. The rest is composed of complex carbohydrates, polyunsaturated fatty acids, calcium, iron, glutamine and enzymes. In servings (4 scoops) 1020 Kcal, of which fat – only 80 Kcal. The mixture is very well absorbed by the body and gives noticeable results.
- excellent composition, content helping to digest proteins and carbohydrates;
- high protein content;
- very affordable price;
- there is packaging on 5040gr;
- strengthening the body.
- It is difficult to choose the right portion so as not to gain excess fat.
UNIVERSAL NUTRITION REAL GAINS
This mixture actively suppresses catabolic processes in the body, intensifying – on the contrary – anabolic. Casein, a number of trace elements and inulin help to slow down the metabolic process. A high content of various carbohydrates saturates the body with energy, and a complex of several different proteins and a variety of amino acids contributes to effective and rapid muscle growth during intensive training. There are options with different food additives, which makes the mixture also tasty. In one portion – 605 Kcal.
- artificial suppression of catabolism and increased anabolism;
- composed of various origins proteins and many amino acids;
- very affordable price;
- the presence of different tastes;
- There is a pack of 4800 grams.
- carbohydrate, in fact, one – and this is ordinary sugar. With a decrease in the intensity of training in the body
- immediately stores fat reserves;
- if the bodybuilder will be limited to power loads alone, fat deposition is inevitable – cardio loadings need to be
- injected, which is not what everyone likes to “roll”.
UP YOUR MASS
The mixture contains a high amount of protein for muscle growth and slow carbohydrates, which do not form fat, but give the athlete a lot of energy. A distinctive feature of this gainer is the incorporation of a large amount of vitamins and minerals in the composition, i.e. the mixture, among other things, is also a balanced vitamin complex. Gainer enhances anabolism and generally suits both ectomorphs and endomorphs – the only difference is that they need a different amount of powder to take. In one portion 520 Kcal.
- slow (long) carbohydrates do not contribute to the buildup of fat;
- amino acids and casein will quickly restore muscle tissue after exercise;
- suitable for people with any type of shape and metabolic rate;
- vitamin and mineral complex;
- there are packagings for 908g, 2270g and 4540g.
- only soy protein, not the best;
- some tastes are sweet.
WEIDER MEGA MASS 4000
The composition of this gainer is such that there are 3 times more carbohydrates in it than proteins (there are only 20g of them per serving). Hence the low price: carbohydrates are cheaper than proteins. The mixture is obviously not suitable for endmorphs, since they will be deposited with fat. But for the ectomorph mixture is very useful. Muscles will grow slowly but surely. In general, a gainer aims more at recuperation after a workout. Contains a vitamin and mineral complex. In one portion 368 Kcal.
- very quickly restores the body after exhausting workout;
- affordable price;
- ectomorphs gradually gain mass;
- useful complex of vitamins and minerals.
- weight gain is extremely slow;
- low energy value per serving. Fast product consumption.
OPTIMUM NUTRITION SERIOUS MASS 6LB
As part of this gainer there is a huge amount of carbohydrates, the powder has the highest energy value. In combination with intensive strength training provides a rapid increase in mass. You can take before training as a stock of building materials for muscles, and after – to restore the normal energy level of the body. Excellent for ectomorphs, but completely unacceptable for endomorphs, as it turns the latter into round koloboks. Per serving 1250 Kcal.
- huge energy value;
- rapid saturation of the body with energy, recovery from stress;
- affordable price;
- vitamin-mineral complex in the composition.
- It is contraindicated in endomorphs, as it intensively adds fat mass to the body.
In this gainer, proteins and carbohydrates are perfectly balanced, they are contained approximately equally, which ensures muscle growth with minimal risk of gaining excess fat. The complex of proteins of different origin still actively nourish and build up muscles after workout, and long carbohydrates practically do not go into fats, but they help to better assimilate proteins. In one portion 626 Kcal.
- a complex of proteins of different digestibility gives an effective increase in muscle mass;
- slow carbohydrates almost do not give fat and help proteins digest;
- complex of vitamins and minerals.
- the price is higher than many other gainers, but it is justified by the composition.
SAN MASS EFFECT REVOLUTION
The mixture contains a complex of several proteins in combination with casein (for better digestibility) and a complex of slow and fast carbohydrates. The composition provides a quick set of muscle mass, and providing the body with a shock dose of energy. This mixture is a godsend for lean and weak ectomorphs, it can be used with caution by mesomorphs and is contraindicated for endomorphs, since it will add fat to the sides on the sides. In one portion 1105 Kcal.
- huge energy value;
- very high product quality;
- the rapid growth of muscle mass;
- improving the overall condition of the body.
- contraindicated in people with a tendency to be overweight;
- no vitamins, not enough minerals;
- as carbohydrates – ordinary sugar.
MASS TECH PERFORMANCE SERIES
As part of a huge content of proteins and relatively few carbohydrates (and those – slow) – if with caution, even endomorphs will do. Plus the highest content of creatine in comparison with analogues. The product is wonderfully suitable for those who want to rapidly build muscle mass, while not overgrow with fat. Moreover, the product contains Omega-unsaturated fats that displace saturated fats. In a portion of 1000 Kcal with 63g protein.
- perfectly balanced composition, omega-fatty acids, slow carbohydrates – all this does not allow the body to
- accumulate fat;
- huge energy value per serving of the product;
- high content of proteins and keratin, which increases the strength of the athlete;
- even endomorphs will do, if you do not exceed the recommended dose and train intensively.
- the relatively high cost, however, is fully justified.